These Buckwheat Blueberry Scones are from Brigitte Mars’s Rawsome recipe book (2004) under her more imaginative title of Berry Good Scones. I made half of her recipe (a habit of mine when I try something I wouldn’t normally make). This made around a dozen scones, and I certainly need to work on the shaping of these! They were supposed to be ’rounded triangles’ but I got something, er, quite other.
I sprouted a cup of buckwheat for three days, used one banana, and something like 1/3 cup of soaked dates, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cardamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 cup fresh wild organic blueberries.
Leaving out the blueberries, I pureed the rest, mixed in the berries and put the mixture in spoonfulls onto dehydrator sheets for 4 hours, turning them over half way through.
These are delicious – and my husband, even wilder for buckwheat than I, ploughed into them with enthusiasm!
Now these Dulse Crackers are a different proposition altogether! Savoury and salt, thin and tempting, they are a good accompaniment to the kinds of snacks we like to indulge in before our evening meal and sometimes instead of a ‘regular’ evening meal.
This is one of Kate Woods’s recipes, from her Eat Smart Eat Raw book. I need 1/4 pound of oat groats, which I had to then soak overnight. I put these in the blender the next morning with 1 oz dulse (which is the lovely red seaweed which tastes like heaven. This doesn’t sound like a lot of dulse, but think: my packages of dulse come in 2-oz lots, which means half a pack, which is more than I usually use at once. Anyway, onward. 1 small onion, chopped, and 1 Tbsp miso. For this I used the red miso, but I think just about any kind you particularly like would work for you. A cup of water added to the lot in the blender and you’re off and running.
I spread this onto the dehydrator sheets in around 5 inch rounds, very thin, and dehydrated 6 hours, turned ’em, and left them there for another 6. After complete cooling, I broke the rounds into 3 or 4 pieces each and stored the arty looking shards in an airtight container. They didn’t last long!
And now on to more experiments with the dehydrator!